CAKE DECORATING CONTEST during CAKEWALK
Cake Decorating Contest
Saturday, May 13th – Gloucester Courthouse
Rules & Information
As part of the challenge to break the record for the World’s Largest Cakewalk, Park Partners and the Gloucester Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department is sponsoring a cake decorating contest. Cakes entered in the contest become the property of the event and will be entered into a raffle to generate additional funds for the Woodville Playground.
The cake contest is open to anyone but it is expected that entrants will have experience decorating cakes and/or be a professional.
The Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department and the Contest Judge reserve the right to refuse an entry deemed in poor taste.
$10 registration fee per cake. The following cash prizes will be awarded to the winners:
First Place $150 Second Place $75 Third Place $50
Theme and Judging:
The theme is “Farm Scenes and Children’s Dreams.” The Woodville playground will have a farm theme.
Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
• Originality and Creativity (color, design, etc.) – 25 points
• Application of the theme – 25 points
• Precision of Technique (skill, precision, number & difficulties of techniques) – 25 points
• Artistic coordination and overall appearance – 25 points
The decisions of the judge are FINAL.
Cakes must be fully decorated upon arrival. No decorating can occur on site. Positioning of decorations that moved in transit can be done during registration.
- Cake base is to be no larger than 24″ X 24″. Height limit is 24”.
- Layer cakes, tiered/stacked cakes or carved (3D) cakes will be accepted.
- No moving parts are allowed. Special backdrops are not allowed.
- Entries, including decorations, must be 100% edible except for columns, supports, wires and stamens.
- No ribbons or other non-edible decorations will be permitted.
- Entry MUST be sole work of the entrant.
Registration and Cake Delivery Information:
- Entrants must submit a registration form by May 10th. Early registration is encouraged to help us plan space needs.
- All cakes must be brought to the Colonial Courthouse in the Historical Court Circle between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. Main Street will be closed at 8:00 a.m., but people bringing in cakes will be allowed through the street barricade on the southeastern side of the circle only.
- Information on drop-off and a reserved parking pass will be emailed to entrants.
- The Courthouse will be closed to the public at 9:00 a.m. for judging and reopened after the judging has concluded.
- Entry constitutes permission to use winners and contestants names for publicity purposes without further compensation.
- Each entry must have the competitor name, address, phone number, description of cake, filling (if applicable), frosting, etc. written on a card attached to the underside of the display board.
- At the conclusion of the contest, business cards promoting your business can be displayed for the public to see.